Sunday mornings: there is a reason so many songs are written about them. They are my favourite time of the week: work is over, errands are done, and I have an entire day to fill with my heart’s desire!
My heart’s desire often includes a good brunch. Keeping with the lazy Sunday theme, my Pancakes with Peaches and Berries are made with natural and preferably organic pre-packaged mixes. For the pancakes, I prefer Coyote, which pre-mixes the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. For the fruit, I prefer PC Organics frozen berry mixes, and I add fresh stone fruits (peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots) when in season. When working with frozen fruit, berry mixes tend to thaw out more evenly.
Serves 2. Prep time: 10 minutes; Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup pancake mix
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or water)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 scoop unflavoured protein powder (optional)
- 1 cup berries and/or diced stone fruits
- Butter for cooking
- Maple Syrup (optional)
- Add ~2 tbsp butter to large skillet, and preheat on medium
- Whisk together pancake mix, almond milk, egg and protein powder and let rise (~5 minutes)
- Once butter has melted, scoop batter onto skillet to make 4 pancakes
- When batter starts to form bubbles, flip pancakes and add fruit to skillet. Add additional 1 tbsp butter if needed
- Stir fruit occasionally, until frozen fruit has cooked through and/or fresh fruit starts to fall apart (~5 minutes)
- Remove skillet from heat. Place 2 pancakes on each plate and add with half of the fruit mix. Top with maple syrup if desired